Dec 12, 2019
College of Optics and Photonics
CREOL, Room: 108B
The Bachelor of Science in Photonic Science and Engineering degree is designed to prepare the next generation of engineers for the growing optics and photonics industry, which has a broad set of applications including manufacturing, healthcare, telecommunication, defense, security, and entertainment. The program draws on UCF’s internationally recognized strengths in the field of optics and lasers and is matched to the strong photonics industry in Central Florida. The degree is offered jointly by the College of Optics and Photonics and the College of Engineering and Computer Science.
This program has potential ties to professional licensure or certification in the field. For more information on how this program may prepare you in that regard, please visit https://www.creol.ucf.edu/academics/undergrad/mission-educational-objectives-abet/.
- Students who wish to declare their major in Photonic Science and Engineering must be in good academic standing and must have a “C” (2.0) or better in each of the following courses or their equivalents: MAC 2311C, MAC 2312, PHY 2048C, and CHS 1440 or CHM 2045C.
- Majors in the B.S.P.S.E. degree are required to achieve a 2.250 or greater GPA for their engineering core courses, including STA 3032 and PHY 3101, together with the photonics courses required for the major, technical elective courses, and the senior design courses.
- Students in the Photonic Science and Engineering major are expected to make consistent good progress toward their degrees to remain enrolled in, or eligible for, any major in the College of Engineering and Computer Science (CECS) or the College of Optics and Photonics (COP). Therefore, any student majoring in Photonic Science and Engineering who repeats any UCF course and does not earn a grade of “C” (2.0) or better on the second attempt will be placed on Lack of Progress Probation and remain on Lack of Progress Probation as long as the student is enrolled in a CECS or COP major. If a student on Lack of Progress Probation does not receive a grade of “C” (2.0) or better by the third attempt in the same UCF course, the student will be excluded from all CECS and COP majors. Any student majoring in Photonic Science and Engineering who has accumulated 7 or more unsuccessful attempts (i.e., grades below “C” (2.0) and withdrawals) over all courses taken at UCF will be placed on Lack of Progress Probation and remain on Lack of Progress Probation as long as the student is enrolled in a CECS or COP major. If a student on Lack of Progress Probation has a tenth unsuccessful attempt over all courses taken at UCF, the student will be excluded from all CECS and COP majors.
- A student who is excluded from CECS and COP majors may seek readmission to a major in CECS or COP after at least one full year has passed since exclusion. Readmission is not automatic and is dependent upon a high probability of success after readmission. Any student who is readmitted to the Photonic Science and Engineering major will be subject to all probation conditions that applied at the time of exclusion.
- Students in the BSPSE Major must obtain a 2.0 or greater GPA in the following courses: EGN 3211, EEL 3004C, EEL 3123C, and MAP 2302
General Education Program (GEP) (38 Credit Hours)
- Engineering students should closely study the requirements of the UCF GEP and the allowable substitutions for each Foundation below to minimize excess hours. Students transferring to UCF from within the Florida College System or State University System should complete the GEP and the Common Program Prerequisites before transferring.
Communication Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Select One: (3 Credit Hours)
Cultural & Historical Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Select One: (3 Credit Hours)
Mathematical Foundations (7 Credit Hours)
Social Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Select One (3 Credit Hours)
Science Foundations (7 Credit Hours)
Common Program Prerequisites (CPP) (19 Credit Hours)
These courses are specifically required for all engineering students of the Florida State University System. CPP courses are also available at other Florida postsecondary schools and may be transferred directly to UCF programs.
A “C” (2.0) or better is required in all CPP courses listed below.
Select One: (3 Credit Hours)
Core Requirements: Basic Level (6-8 Credit Hours)
1 C (2.0) or better required
Core Requirements: Advanced Level (47 Credit Hours)
Engineering Requirements (17 Credit Hours)
1 C (2.0) or better required.
Photonics Requirements (30 Credit Hours)
- Please refer to the myKnight Audit for a list of approved restricted electives.
- Students must complete 10-12 restricted elective credits. Students must select at least 3 credit hours of restricted electives with the course prefix OSE. The remaining 7 hours may be taken from approved upper level photonics, engineering, physics, mathematics, or other related electives. All electives must be approved by the program advisor. See myKnight audit for complete list of approved electives. If EGS 1006C and EGN 1007C are not completed, the restricted electives requirement increases to 12 hrs.
- Students who are Electrical or Computer Engineering double degree majors along with Photonic Science and Engineering majors and who enroll in OSE 4953 will have their restricted elective credit hour total reduced by 2 (1 credit hour per course enrolled).
- The courses used to satisfy the restricted elective requirement and used as part of the major GPA calculation will be those with the highest grades out of all restricted elective courses the student has completed.
Capstone Requirements (6-8 Credit Hours)
Foreign Language Requirements
- Two years of one foreign language in high school, or one year of one foreign language in college (or equivalent proficiency exam) prior to graduation.
- Photonic science and engineering students must earn at least 32 hours in residence at UCF. 24 of the 32 Residency hours must be at the 3000-5000 level, in courses taken from the College of Optics and Photonics at UCF and applicable to the degree program.
Departmental Exit Requirements
University Minimum Exit Requirements
- A 2.0 UCF GPA
- 48 semester hours of upper division credit completed
- 60 semester hours earned after CLEP awarded
- 30 of the last 39 hours of course work must be completed in residency at UCF.
- A maximum of 45 hours of extension, correspondence, CLEP, Credit by Exam, and Armed Forces credits permitted.
- Complete the General Education Program, the Gordon Rule, and nine hours of Summer credit.
Total Undergraduate Credit Hours Required: 128
Honors In Major
- Photonic Science and Engineering major and pending students should meet with the academic advisor regularly.
- Each student should seek academic advisement before registering for classes each semester to minimize excess hours.
- Students are assumed to have knowledge of a higher level programming language (C preferred).
- Students in the BSPSE Major are required to take OSE-prefixed lab courses in the same semester as the corresponding lecture course.
- Prior to enrolling in OSE 3200 , students are encouraged to meet with the BSPSE Academic Advisor.
- Courses taken from Florida College System institutions do not substitute for upper division courses unless part of an articulated pre-engineering degree program.
- Courses transferred must be formally evaluated for equivalency credit. The student must provide all supporting information with his/her petition for this evaluation.
- EGS 1006C and EGN 1007C are required courses for incoming freshmen only and without completion of these courses, restricted elective requirement increases to 12 credit hours.
Acceptable Substitutes for Transfer Courses
Program Academic Learning Compacts
- Part-Time Student: $45 per term
- Full-Time Student: $90 per term
Plan of Study (128 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Fall (15 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Spring (15 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Fall (14 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Spring (16 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Summer (12 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Fall (15 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Spring (14 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Fall (14 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Spring (13 Credit Hours)