2019-2020 Graduate Catalog 
    May 07, 2021  
2019-2020 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]



UCF’s registration system allows students to enroll for the entire upcoming academic year (3 semesters). This improves a student’s ability to plan for upcoming terms and allows students more opportunity to make any necessary adjustments to registration. It is important for students to register for courses they plan to complete and fulfill requirements within their degree plan. Students are not required to register for all three terms during their initial appointment but the upcoming academic year will be available. For additional information regarding Multiple Term Registration (MTR), please visit the Registrar’s Office webpage.

During each academic semester, registration is held for all new, currently enrolled, degree-seeking, and nondegree-seeking students for the following term. Registration sessions consist of Registration and Late Registration (held during the first week of classes each term).

Multiple term registration begins following mid-term of the spring semester for the following summer, fall, and spring terms. Class listings are available only online through the Class Schedule Search at my.ucf.edu. The dates and times for each registration period are included in the Academic Calendar.

Note: Newly admitted students (degree or nondegree) must register for classes in their first term in order to become and remain active. New students that do not enroll in classes in their first term will have their file inactivated and all future registration dropped. Once their file is inactivated, they will need to re-apply by completing a new online application and submitting a new application processing fee.

Please note that the last day to Drop classes is now one day before the last day to Add classes. Please visit the Student Handbook on the Graduate Website for more information on registration and related topics. 

Online Registration

Registration is available over the web using the myUCF system at my.ucf.edu and in the college advising offices.

UCF NID (Network Identification Number)

Students obtain the UCF NID Number on their first login to myUCF at my.ucf.edu. The initial login will use a default password. Following instructions, students choose a new password and reminder clue.

Web Enrollment Guide

The Web Enrollment Guide is published online once a year by the Registrar’s Office. The Web Enrollment Guide provides the official “Academic Calendar” and describes the policies and procedures governing registration each term. The Web Enrollment Guide is available on the Registrar’s Office website.

Immunization Form

All new first-term graduate students must have an Immunization Form completed before they are allowed to register at UCF. Holds placed on registration will be removed by the UCF Health Services once the Immunization Form is received. Forms may be obtained on the UCF Student Health Services website.

Continuing Graduate Students

Continuing graduate students register through myUCF after their assigned appointment day and time, which can be found in myUCF. All continuing students should register early. For graduate students with fellowships or assistantships, failure to register early may result in delays in receiving assistantship paychecks and sometimes result in the loss of tuition waivers. Continuing graduate students registering for an internship, independent study, thesis or dissertation hours, or research report hours must fill out a Registration Agreement form obtained from their adviser or department office. The college graduate office will normally register students into these courses.

Enrollment of International Students

International students are required to seek advisement from UCF Global to ensure that their enrollment status meets full-time status in compliance with USCIS regulations. Students must obtain advisement from UCF Global before dropping or withdrawing from courses that would affect their enrollment status.

Nondegree-seeking Students

Before registering, all nondegree-seeking students should check with the departments where they want to take courses in to learn what is required for registration by that department. Certain classes are restricted, and it is best to find this out first. In the College of Education, nondegree-seeking students can ONLY register for 5000- and 6000-level classes. In the College of Business Administration, nondegree-seeking students cannot register for graduate courses. The College of Engineering and Computer Science will only allow nondegree-seeking students to register with special approval from the program director. Nondegree-seeking students who want to register for College of Arts and Humanities, College of Health and Public Affairs, College of Optics and Photonics, College of Sciences or Rosen College of Hospitality Management courses should check with the individual graduate programs for more detailed information.

Nondegree-seeking students must be registered for 12 hours to be considered full-time. Nondegree-seeking students who already have certification elsewhere (i.e., from a College of Education in another state) are not eligible to receive financial aid. In general, nondegree-seeking students are not eligible for financial aid, assistantships, fellowships, or tuition support, although it is best to check with the Office of Student Financial Assistance for specific details.


A hold (negative service indicator) may be placed on a student’s records, transcripts, grades, diplomas or registration due to financial or other obligations to the University. Satisfaction and clearance of the hold is required before a release can be given. Students may check for holds on the myUCF system at my.ucf.edu. To obtain an immediate release for Student Accounts financial holds, you may make your credit card or e-check payment online from your student account. After making a successful payment, contact Student Account Services with the remit ID to confirm your payment and have your hold released.

To release UCF College of Graduate Studies holds, the students must provide the outstanding application requirement(s) to complete their records.

Audit Registration

Audit students are those who desire to attend class(es) without receiving academic credit. Regular tuition and fees are assessed for audit registration. See “Tuition and Fees ” for more information about the cost of auditing classes at UCF. Audit registration is on a space-available basis at the assigned time of Registration or at any time during Late Registration and Add/Drop when Late Registration fees will apply. Audit requests for students who register prior to this time will be denied. Students may not change to audit status after Late Registration and Add/Drop, but must remain in the course or withdraw through normal withdrawal procedures. New students must be accepted for admission. Audit forms, available on the Registrar’s Office website and in the Registrar’s and college advising offices, must be signed by the instructor and presented to the Registrar’s Office at the time of registration.

Senior Citizen Audit

Senior citizens (60 years of age or older) who have been residents of the State of Florida for at least one year as of the first day of classes may enroll tuition-free as audit students (i.e., no academic credit) on a space-available basis. Forms to be completed include the “Residency Affidavit,” the “Student Health History,” and the “Senior Citizen Audit Application” and “Senior Citizen Audit Registration Form.” These forms are available in the Registrar’s Office (Millican Hall 161) or at the Registrar’s Office website. It is necessary to complete the required forms during the last hours of registration as noted in the Academic Calendar. Direct student expenses after the completion of registration include the campus ID card, vehicle registration, and textbooks.

State Employee Registration

State of Florida employee enrollment into courses for which the employee will seek a tuition waiver will occur on a space-available only basis on the last day of registration each term at the time specified on the Academic Calendar. For waiver eligibility and application information, see the “Tuition Support ” section.

UCF Employee Registration

UCF employee enrollment into courses for which the employee will seek a tuition waiver will occur on a space-available only basis on the last day of registration each term at the time specified on the Academic Calendar. For waiver eligibility and application information, see the “Tuition Support ” section.

Fee Payments

All graduate students must pay their tuition and fees by the published fee payment deadline. If a department or college has not recorded tuition support by then, students must pay all tuition and fees. If a department or college has waived partial tuition and it is recorded, then students must pay the remainder of the tuition owed and all of the fees by the published deadline. It is important for graduate students to register early to provide the department or college enough time to record tuition support. Please visit the Student Account Services website for details on fee invoice and payment procedures.


For information about Florida Residency for Tuition Purposes and Residency Reclassification, visit the Cost page on the Graduate website.

Fee Invoices

The “Fee Invoice” is your verification of registration. You are not assured of being registered for any class until you print out your Fee Invoice/Schedule. Your fee invoice lists your fees and the classes in which you are registered. Please print a new invoice if you drop or add classes so that the invoice will reflect changes in your fees. Newly admitted students should review their Fee Invoice carefully. If a “non-resident” rate is added to your bill and you believe this is in error, please contact the UCF College of Graduate Studies as soon as possible. For information on Florida Residency for Tuition Purposes please visit the “Financial Information ” section of this catalog. If you wish to pay your fees by credit card, press the “ePay fees” button, which will take you to the UCF online credit card payment system. Be sure to have your current address on file (see “Address and Email Changes,” below).

You may print your “Fee Invoice” through myUCF at my.ucf.edu under the Student Accounts menu or at UCF Kiosks.

Mandatory Health Information

In order for a student to register, the State University System of Florida requires:

  • All students born AFTER 1956 to present documented proof of immunity to measles (rubeola).
  • All students UNDER the age of 40 to present documented proof of immunity to rubella (German measles).
  • All students (REGARDLESS OF AGE) to submit a signed medical history form. Distance learning students who will never come to UCF or an area campus are only required to submit the medical history form.

Students are not allowed to register without proper health information documentation. Please refer to the Immunization Form for specific details of requirements and acceptable documentation. If you have questions, contact the Immunization Coordinator, UCF Health Services (phone: 407-823-3707; fax: 407-823-3135). Office hours for the UCF Health Services vary. Please visit the UCF Student Health Services website for additional information.

Name Changes

To change the legal name maintained on the student’s official UCF record, the student must submit a completed “Change of Name” form and supporting documentation to the appropriate UCF office. Attach to the form a copy of a legal name change document (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.). Undergraduate students must submit the form to the Registrar’s Office (Millican Hall 161). Graduate students must submit the form to the UCF College of Graduate Studies (Millican Hall 230). Current UCF employees and students who have been UCF employees within twelve months of the date the name change is requested must submit the form to the Human Resources Office (12565 Research Parkway). The “Change of Name” form is available from the Registrar’s Office website or in Millican Hall 161.

Address and EMail Changes

To communicate in a more expedient manner, UCF uses e-mail as the primary means of notifying students of important university business and information dealing with registration, deadlines, financial assistance, scholarships, tuition, and fees, etc., as described in Student Responsibility for University Communication  in this catalog.

If the student’s address changes, it is the student’s responsibility to make the appropriate changes to the address through myUCF at my.ucf.edu or at any of the kiosks located on campus. Address and email changes also can be made by submitting a Change of Address form or by writing the Registrar’s Office, P.O. Box 160114, Orlando, FL 32816-0114 or fax to 407-648-5022. Written requests must be signed and the student number provided. Address changes can also be made by writing the UCF College of Graduate Studies, University of Central Florida, P.O. Box 160112, Millican Hall 230, Orlando, FL 32816-0112 or fax to 407-823-6442.

Transcript Requests

For UCF students applying to UCF graduate programs: You do not need to request transcripts of your UCF coursework. The UCF College of Graduate Studies will request those transcripts internally.

Requests for official UCF transcripts are made through the Registrar’s Office (in person, by mail, or by fax). “Transcript Request Forms” are also available on the Registrar’s Office website. A student’s academic record can be released only upon written authorization signed by the student. Telephone and e-mail requests are not accepted. Transcripts cannot be released if the student is on hold due to a financial obligation to the university. Transcript requests must include the student’s signature, full name, identification number, and the name and complete address of the person(s) or organizations to whom transcripts are to be sent. If final grades or degree statement are needed, indicate that the transcript request is to be held until all requested data are posted.

A $10 per transcript charge is assessed for each transcript request. Payment for official transcripts is required at the time of the request and may be satisfied by cash, check or money order (made payable to UCF), credit card, or UCF Card. Requests received by mail must be accompanied by a check, money order, or credit card information (i.e., card type, card number, 3-digit Security Number, expiration date, and the name to which the card is registered.) Cash payments can be accepted only by the Cashier’s Office during that office’s regular business hours. The UCF Card payment option is available only at the main Orlando campus and must be made in person at the Registrar’s Office (MH 161). Mail written requests for transcripts to Registrar’s Office, Attn: Transcripts, P.O. Box 160114, Orlando, FL 32816-0114. For fax request information and payment procedures, refer to the Registrar’s Office website or call 407-823-3100. Transcripts may be sent electronically to other Florida public institutions. Transcripts not claimed with 30 days of printing will be discarded and must be reordered. A $10 per reordered transcript fee must be submitted with the reorder request. Grades are available from myUCF.

Enrollment Certifications

Students may obtain their enrollment online through myUCF. Enrollment certification is free to currently enrolled students. Parents, employers, background checking firms, and other third-party agencies may request enrollment and degree verifications online at http://www.degreechk.com/. A fee will be assessed for all such requests. UCF has contracted with Credentials, Inc. to provide current enrollment, degree, and past attendance verifications online 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Credentials, Inc. Customer Service is available at 1-847-446-1027, ext. 104 between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. CST/CDT Monday through Friday.

Enrollment Status for Fall and Spring Terms

Nondegree-seeking   Degree-seeking
Status Credit Hours   Status Credit Hours
Full 12 or more   Full 9 or more
Half 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, or 11   Half 4.5**, 5, 6, 7, or 8
LTHT* less than 6   LTHT* less than 4.5

Enrollment Status for Summer Term

Nondegree-seeking   Degree-seeking
Status Credit Hours   Status Credit Hours
Full 12   Full 6
Half 6   Half 3
LTHT* less than 6   LTHT* less than 3

* LTHT = Less Than Half Time

** 4.5 hours applies only to College of Business Administration credit hours.

For students receiving university fellowships, assistantships, and tuition support, see Full-time Enrollment Requirements  in the General Graduate Policies section of this catalog.

All Federal loan recipients must enroll at least half-time for each term that a loan is requested (that is, 4.5+ hours in fall/spring; 3+ hours in summer, regardless of classification). The in-school grace and deferment period of the loan remains as long as the student has enrolled at least halftime. Nondegree-seeking students have different requirements and should contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance for specific information.

Students on family insurance policies that require full-time status must take at least 9 hours per semester in the fall and spring terms (6 hours in the summer term) to be considered full time. Students classified as nondegree-seeking must enroll in at least 12 hours of coursework in order to be considered full time.

VA Educational Benefits—For degree and nondegree-seeking students, the VA benefits pay levels for credit hour enrollment are:

  Fall and Spring terms   9   Summer term   6
  Fall and Spring terms   7 or 8   Summer term   4 or 5
  Fall and Spring terms   6* (4.5 **)   Summer term   3*


* Tuition and Fee payments apply below these credit hours.
** Applies to College of Business Administration credit hours.

Withdrawal Policy and Academic Record Change Requests


Withdrawal for each term begins after “Late Registration and Add/Drop” ends. Students may withdraw from a class and receive the notation of “W” until the date noted in the “Academic Calendar” of the Web Enrollment Guide. A student may withdraw from courses using myUCF at https://my.ucf.edu, or by visiting the Registrar’s Office (Millican Hall 161), certain college advising offices, or a Regional Campus records office. Students may withdraw by fax at 407-823-5652. Faxed requests must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the last day to withdraw and must include the student’s identification number, the course(s) to be dropped, and the student’s signature. Students also may send a written request to the Registrar’s Office by mail (to P.O. Box 160114, Orlando, FL 32816-0114). This letter must be time-stamped or postmarked before the published withdrawal deadline and must include the student’s identification number, the course(s) to be dropped, and the student’s signature. Students seeking to withdraw in person must sign the request and must provide photo identification. The official date of withdrawal is the date the university receives the withdrawal request. Requests received by mail are processed using the postmark as the official date of withdrawal.

Withdrawing from classes may have financial aid, NCAA eligibility, or international Visa consequences. Students should seek appropriate advisement prior to withdrawing from a class.

A student is not automatically withdrawn from a class for not attending, nor can an instructor withdraw a student from a class. Upon request, the instructor will provide the student with an assessment of the student’s performance in the course prior to the last day of withdrawal.

If a graduate student withdraws from a course while and alleged academically dishonest act is under consideration, and the case is not subsequently resolved in favor of the student, the university reserves the right to assign the appropriate grade for the course.

Late Withdrawals

Withdrawals are not permitted after the deadline except in extraordinary circumstances such as being the primary caretaker of an immediate family member who become seriously ill or injured. Late withdrawal must be requested during the semester in which the withdrawal is sought and as soon as the extraordinary circumstances arise. Unsatisfactory academic performance is not an acceptable reason for withdrawal after the deadline. Graduate students seeking to petition for a late withdrawal should consult the College of Graduate Studies (MH 230). At the time of the request, the College of Graduate Studies will ascertain from the instructor whether the student was passing or failing the course. If the student was passing, a “WP” will be recorded on the student’s permanent record; if failing, a “WF” will be entered. Late withdrawals are for all courses taken in the semester. Students who request a late withdrawal from selective classes must provide a compelling reason and documentation (e.g., my son’s radiation treatment was at 9:00 a.m. every day, so I only had to stop attending my 9:00 a.m. class).

Medical Withdrawals

Graduate students who seek a withdrawal because they are ill must apply for a medical withdrawal. A medical withdrawal is considered if the student is unable to complete the semester due to a serious mental or physical medical condition. A medical withdrawal applies to all classes taken that semester. Students who request a medical withdrawal from selective classes must provide a compelling reason and documentation.

The student’s medical provider(s) will need to provide appropriate medical documentation using the form provide by the College of Graduate Studies. The medical provider must confirm that the illness was such a severity or duration to preclude the completion of the course(s). The medical condition should have arisen during the given semester from which the withdrawal is sought. If the student was aware of the medical condition prior to the beginning of the semester, he/she must provide medical documentation demonstrating that there was a change in the condition during the semester that resulted in an inability to meet course requirements.

If a medical withdrawal is approved, a “WM” will be recorded for each course. A “WM” grade has no effect on your GPA. Graduate students who receive a medical withdrawal may be placed on hold until the university can determine that the student is ready to return.

A medical withdrawal should be submitted a soon as is possible when the medical condition arises. If the student’s medical condition does not permit the student to submit the withdrawal request during the semester in which the medical withdrawal is sought, the student has up to six months following the end of the semester to submit for approval and to qualify for a tuition refund.

Late Drops

Graduate students with circumstances determined by the university to be exceptional and beyond their control may apply for a cancellation of enrollment and the elimination of fee liability. Exceptional circumstances include, but are not limited the death of an immediate family member, involuntary call to military service, or an administrative error created by the university. A late drop is for all classes taken that semester. Graduate students must submit a petition and all supporting documentation for a late drop of courses to the College of Graduate Studies (Millican Hall 230; 407-823-2766) within six months of the end of the semester for which the late drop is sought. If approved, a late drop will result in a full refund of tuition and the complete removal of the courses from the academic record.

Late Adds

A late add is considered when a student is unable to add a course(s) by the add deadline as outlined in the Academic Calendar. It is reserved for an unavoidable delay in adding a class or an administrative error in the registration process or advising. A late add can be requested by either a student or a program representative on behalf of a student. A late add is not approved beyond the second week of classes unless there are well-documented extenuating circumstances and instructor approval.

Financial Support

Graduate students who will be supported on assistantships must contact their program coordinator to see that their employment contract form is filled out and to request tuition support. Paychecks are delayed when these arrangements are not made prior to the beginning of the semester. All graduate students who are receiving fellowships should register as early as possible so that payment arrangements can be made by the UCF College of Graduate Studies.

Student Responsibility to Inform Offices

All graduate students who have financial aid, or who need financial support in order to attend UCF, should be sure to inform all appropriate offices of all changes in financial status. Remember to inform the departmental office, the Office of Student Financial Assistance, and the UCF College of Graduate Studies of all changes related to enrollment, graduate status, or financial support.


All vehicles parked on campus, including evening students’ vehicles, must be registered with the Parking Services Office and display the appropriate permit or decal. Parking Services offers assistance to motorists, including battery jump-starts and unlocking car doors. For more information see the Parking Services website.

Visitor Information Center

To park on campus without a decal, purchase a daily permit at the Visitor Information Center across from the Progress Energy University Welcome Center or from the pay-and-display machines on campus. Daily permits are valid only in student lots. Meters are also available in selected locations.